Itinerant workers with “left over” paving materials will soon be showing up in the area. These companies claim they are established in another part of the state, sometimes falsely claiming they are ‘affiliated’ with the BBB. These con artists will be hitting our area during the spring and summer looking for ways to separate you from your money.
Who is targeted by these itinerant companies?
Anyone with a parking lot, country road or driveway to pave.
What do they offer?
A bargain price for “left over materials from a job just completed up the street”.
The paving industry does not do business with “left over” materials. Sometimes the door-to-door paving companies will pave over old asphalt or over dirt instead of preparing the paving job.
Before you pay anyone who uses this type of approach, and especially before you allow any unknown individual on your property or into your home, the BBB suggests the following.
- Comparison shop with well known, reputable companies. The BBB can provide a list of industry specific businesses, at no cost. Call the BBB for a report on the company.
- Don’t fall prey to high pressure tactics such as "this is the only chance you’ll have" or "by tomorrow the extra materials will be gone."
3. Get several bids and compare apple to apples. Consider all aspects of the bid. A good deal involves a lot more than price. Get the details in writing.
4. A good deal also involves time spent researching the project and the companies you plan to hire to complete the project. Don’t make a decision worth thousands or even hundreds of dollars on the spur of the moment with a company you know nothing about.
5. Get the complete name and address of the company. Know who you are considering doing business with.
If you have an expensive job to be done, be especially cautious of these offers. Obtain bids from several companies. Take the time to review the bids and don't always go with the lowest bid. In many cases, you get exactly what you pay for.
Remember, any legitimate company that wants your business will be more than willing to allow you the time to check time out. Avoid problems. Buy from reputable companies with a proven track record.